Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fun Date

Greg and I went out on a date last week and it was so fun. We got a very first paid babysitter, and we went to a shooting range and I finally got to shoot a gun!

First, we had Mexican. I had authentic tacos. Up until just a couple years ago, I'd never had them before. They are so good now that I've actually tried them! I can't believe I was missing out for so long.

 Before we left, we had to take some dumb photos too. It wouldn't be a date without it.

Then it was off to the shooting range.

Greg and I had tried this whole "shooting range" thing before we had children, but it didn't go very well the first time. We went to an indoor place up in Michigan, and I had been having a hormonal, emotional, crying morning that particular day. And women, we all know that if there was already crying that happened in a particular day, crying is more likely to happen at some other point that day. Anyway, Greg was going over the gun safety rules wiht me while we were in our lane when a very large gun went off that scared me half to death. I jumped out of my skin, and then before I'd fully recovered, it went off again. Next, I burst into tears and buried my face in Greg's chest until it was done. Needless to say, I didn't shoot that day.

It took me more than 6 years, but I was ready to try again, under the agreement that we'd try an OUTDOOR range this time where the sound wasn't trapped in a concrete room.

Once we were there and ready to shoot, we had to wait for a cease fire so we could put our target out on the range. While we were waiting, a man walked up to us to say hi. It was the father of one of the kids on Hunter's soccer team that we're coaching. Wouldn't you know it that out of the 5 other people at the range, I had to know one of them.
We rented a .380 for me to try. I was scared to death a bit nervous at first because I just didn't know what to expect for the kick, but I think I did quite well.

Here I am ready to shoot, and standing absolutely ridiculous because I was still getting used to standing comfortable with it. Also, you're not mistaken. That's a look of sheer terror on my face.

After a while of shooting the .380, I decided to step it up a notch and shoot a .40. I had his glove on because I was afraid of the kick, but I ended up doing fine.
I guess I was feeling very brave that day (and I couldn't let my husband think I was a baby) so I even got up the nerve to shoot a .44. 
Greg predicted I'd be done after 3 rounds but I shot 10, and even aimed pretty well with it! By the 10th, my hand was getting sore, so I stopped there.
Here's a video of me shooting the .44.

Here's the hubs looking all hot and stuff, but that's nothing new. This time, he just has a gun in his hand while doing it.

It was so fun!!! I can't wait to go again!

No comments:

Post a Comment