Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Soft Pretzels

Ok, so I got this recipe from my sister, and it is so easy and so good! They may not look very pretty, but seriously, they are YUM-O!


Here's the recipe:


Ingredients:

1 package active dry yeast

1 1/2 cups warm water

tsp salt, plus topping

tbsp sugar, plus topping

4 cups flour

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix tsp salt, tbsp sugar and 4 cups flour.
In another bowl, mix the yeast and water. Add flour mixture. The dough will be very dry, but just keep mixing and kneading until it's all mixed in.
Sprinkle flat surface with flour, and form dough into desired shapes. The dough is extremely sticky, so it's hard to do anything with lots of detail, so I just do pretzel sticks.
Place pretzels on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush tops with beaten egg.
Top pretzels with desired topping. In this batch, I did half with sea salt, and half with cinnamon and sugar. Don't be shy with the toppings, because you really do have to add a lot to make sure they aren't bland and you can taste it. Seriously, if you think you added too much, add a little more.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until just turning golden brown. I overbaked them the first time I made them because I had it my head that they would turn dark brown like the ones you'd buy at the store. But, that's not the case. So as soon as they start to golden, take them out, and they'll be perfectly hard on the outside, and warm and soft on the inside, just the way pretzels should be!
We dip our salted pretzels in mustard, but I thought the cinnamon and sugared ones need a dipper too, I just can't think of one. Lemme know if you have any suggestions, or if you make the recipe, lemme know how you like it! :)

2 comments:

  1. The cinnamon sugar ones should be dipped in an icing, probably made from a powdered sugar and milk mix.

    ReplyDelete