Friday, May 20, 2011

Italian Sausage and Spinach Pasta

I wanted to use my Italian sausage I had in my freezer but didn't have all the ingredients for my Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake, so I searched for a new recipe. I came across one that I tweaked a bit, and here it is!

Ingredients:
  • 1 package Mild Italian sausage, split in half and sliced into 1-inch pieces (you could use spicy sausage too, if you're into that kinda thang)
  • 1/2 onion, chopped
  • 4 cups chicken broth
  • 3/4 pound spaghetti (I used thin because it cooks quicker)
  • spinach...I used a 14 oz package of frozen spinach so the work was done for me, but you could use fresh spinach and just make sure it's roughly chopped
  • 1-2 cups milk
  • Grated Parmesan cheese

Cook sausage in large skillet on medium heat until the outside is browned. Toss in the chopped onion and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Spoon off any accumulated fat.

Add chicken broth, spaghetti (broken in half) and about 1 cup milk. Bring to a gentle boil and cook until spaghetti is al dente, stirring occasionally. If it looks like you don't have enough liquid, just add more milk.

Add spinach and stir. Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until spinach is desired softness.

Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.

But if you're like me, you'll forget the Parmesan.

Also, if you're like me, you'll look at the finished product and think, This
would be so good with a side of garlic bread!

But you don't have any garlic bread.

So you improvise...with hamburger buns, butter, and a toaster oven.
Then, to fool your husband into thinking you bought this amazing bread at the
store, you add a little bit more butter and sprinkle parsley on top.
Voila! Homemade-hillbilly-garlic-bread! You're welcome. That recipe is free of
charge.

Anyway, here is the finished product. Yum!

(and in case you're wondering, my husband wasn't fooled by the bread...go figure.)

No comments:

Post a Comment