Monday, February 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Muffins

Well, folks - I have ventured into the world of whole wheat flour!!
Since I've been making all of our breads homemade, I thought I'd go a step further in making them even healthier by substituting some whole wheat flour in my recipes. I made these muffins tonight, which is a recipe I adapted from one I found online and they were pretty good!

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1/3 cup apple sauce
  • 1 egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease bottom of 12 muffin tins.

Mix the first 6 ingredients in large bowl. In separate bowl, mix the milk, apple sauce and egg. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry all at once, and mix just until all the dry ingredients are wet. Don't overmix!

Bake for 17-20 minutes or until golden brown.

They're best served warm! I'm thinking they'd be delish with a streusel topping but I haven't tried that yet. I need a pastry blender first. Cutting butter with two knives is just too tedious for me.

In case you're counting, they're 119 calories per muffin.

No comments:

Post a Comment