Monday, April 5, 2010

Easter Weekend

This weekend, we were so grateful to be able to visit our old friends in New Bern for the holiday. It's been since we moved away two years ago that Greg's been back, so I was so glad that we were all able to go. We stayed with the Preacher and family. They have 4 little ones, and their boy, Micah, is about 8 months older than Hunter. As soon as they saw each other when we got there, they were instant friends!
Saturday for lunch, we met with Joe, an old friend that Greg was in the USMC with. Katie, his wife, is a nurse at the hospital and had to work all day, but we went up there and visited her for a few minutes. It was good to see her, but I wish it could have been longer! They have 2 kids, so after the hospital visit, we all went to a nearby park. The play area for this park is so big, and so fun for kids, but it's a lot to keep an eye on them!
That picture is only about half of the structure! The kids enjoyed playing though. And it's amazing how they can keep going, and going, and going, even in the 80 degree weather. I was DYING! Here is a picture of their boy, Cole.

And here's Sophie.
After the park, we went for ice cream. This next picture was taken at DQ right after Greg convinced Sophie to be his girlfriend.
Now, I've mentioned that Greg works for Volvo. After we said goodbye to Joe and the kids, we decided to drive by New Bern's Volvo dealership. When we lived there, it was a Honda Volvo dealership and it was right down the street from where we used to live. We pulled in and noticed it was only Honda now. I was a little disappointed, but I couldn't imagine that a Honda dealership sold many Volvo's anyway. As we were driving back to the preacher's house, we passed by the Lincoln Mercury dealership, and I saw that they are Lincoln Mercury Volvo! We pulled in and checked out some Volvo's just because Greg hasn't gotten the chance to take me and show them to me. Hunter was so excited to sit in a Volvo. I don't think I've mentioned, but since Greg went to Volvo's school, he points them out to Hunter whenever we see them, and my 2 year old has gotten a love for their cars. We will seriously be driving down the road, and Hunter can point out a Volvo that I didn't even see! So, let me say again that he was VERY excited to get to sit inside of one!

Greg asked the salesman about their Volvo techs, and he said they only have 1 tech for all the Volvo's that come in. (Hey, maybe they need 2!) I was at least happy to see Volvo with Lincoln Mercury, because the same people that would be shopping for them would be interested in Volvo's too. Also, Greg is certified to work on Ford's just the same as he is on Volvo's. Isn't it funny how perfect this all sounds? ;) Greg knows I would move back to New Bern in a heartbeat, because I didn't even want to move away. If the Lord's will is for us to go back, I know He will change Greg's heart to feel the same way.
After Volvo, we went back to the preacher's house and played outside for a bit. This is Kenzie, their oldest.
Here's Micah again.
Brian and Keri joined us for dinner. The last time I saw them, Keri was still in the first trimester of her pregnancy, so I'd never gotten to meet their baby girl. Kenley is a sweetie pie, and I was so glad to be able to meet her and love on her.


She's a little 8 month old peanut, only weighing 13 pounds. They have been having lots of test done on her, and aren't exactly sure what's going on, but I know they would appreciate your prayers for her while they're going through this.
After dinner, we played cards, just like old times. While Greg was deployed and I was in New Bern, I can't tell you how many times I was over someone's house way too late because we were playing games and fellowshipping. I miss those times so much. I'm becoming a blubbering idiot just thinking about it. I have some great friends in New Bern (and friends I met there who have also moved on to new places) and I miss them SO much. It was so wonderful to be able to spend time with some of them again.
Easter Sunday church was wonderful. We were so glad to be able to see everyone at the church that we've missed. Some mentioned that they had been told we were, once again, searching for a new church, and they were praying with us about it. It's so nice to know that, even though we've been gone for 2 years, they still care enough to pray for us. It means so much.

We were invited to join some people for lunch at the church. Melissa Goodfellow's parents (I'm sorry I don't remember their names!) made a wonderful, Southern lunch. I got to have a few Southern dishes I'd never even heard of before, which I liked. I would tell you what the dishes were, but I can't remember their technical names, and I'm sure Melissa would laugh at me if I tried to explain them in my northern ways! The good thing about Southern food is that it's all hearty food, but it's all bad for your thighs! ;) I didn't mind though, it was too good to pass up!
We came home after lunch since Greg still had to work today, Monday. Our visit was wonderful. We both had such a good time. Hunter also made it evident that he enjoyed himself. When we pulled into our house, he said in such a sad voice, "Micah..."
If we can't live there again, I'm at least thankful we're within a few hours to visit regularly.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous weekend of catching up on all the wonderful parts of NC.

    ReplyDelete