Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Opposites


I am so blessed. I can't tell you how full my heart has been the past two weeks since Kylee has arrived. I've lost count on how many times I have smothered both of my babies in kisses and thanked the Lord for them. I don't know why He has chosen to bless us with two beautiful, healthy children, but I am not complaining, and I am making sure that He is constantly being thanked and praised for letting us raise them!

Naturally, I have been comparing ways that they are alike and different from when Hunter was a newborn. Please bear with me and my list. It's mostly just written for myself to have it documented. I won't be offended if you get bored and don't read to the end. ;)

Starting with pregnancy, I gained way more with Hunter than I did with Kylee. I know part of it was my inability to control my portion sizes, but Wehrman boys also require way more to eat than girls, and this even applies in utero!

Labor was quite different also. Even though you try to dramatize everything and make it seem like it was terrible, in retrospect from having done it twice, I had a pretty easy labor with Hunter. The epidural worked with no problems, praise God! I pushed for nearly an hour with him, and then our 10 pound, 8 ouncer was born.

If you read my labor posts with Kylee, you know that my epidural stopped working, I had uncontrollable shakes, and I felt everything at the end. But, I only had to push for 3 minutes with her, and our little peanut 8 pounder arrived.

Hunter was born with almost no hair, and what was there was very blonde, and still is. Kylee was born with a full head of dark hair! I think she has more than he does and he's three!

There's been lots of differences since she's arrived also.

For whatever reason, when my newborn children nurse, they squeak. I don't know what it is, but it is absolutely adorable (at least to mom.) However, Kylee doesn't stop there. We call her our little squeaker because that's all she does! Awake or asleep, squeaks are coming out of her mouth.

Poor Hunter has my complexion. We are both as white as sheets. Kylee got her father's complexion and is a little bit more tanned.

Hunter wasn't a bad sleeper, but Kylee is a pretty good sleeper. She does really well throughout the night, as long as we make sure to keep her up a bit before bedtime.

Hunter is his father's son and is up most mornings in the 6 o'clock hour. Mom and Kylee like to sleep in whenever possible.

With feeding, if I offered food to Hunter, he ate it! Kylee is a bit more tricky and doesn't want it all the time. I have to catch her at the right moments. She keeps me on my toes.

Kylee is a pretty laid-back baby except when it's time to change her diaper, or change her clothes, or bathe her. She does NOT like being messed with and lets you know so. Hunter didn't mind any of these.

After fighting him for 2 months, I finally gave in and let Hunter be a thumb-sucker. Kylee, thankfully, has taken to the pacifier. (It's way easier to break them of it!)

Their differences amaze me since it's only been two weeks. I am excited to see what else makes them unique as time goes on.

The differences keep reminding me of Psalm 139:13-14:
13 For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.

God hand-picked every little detail about them while I was pregnant. Every similarity and difference between them was because God chose it to be that way.

They're very much different from each other, and Greg and I love every little difference about both of them.

We're so in love with both of our babies. :)

2 comments:

  1. I bet you can understand now how all 3 of my kids are my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how they each have their personality and all that goes with it. My 3 were very different, from birth right into adulthood. But you'll see the similarities as well. That little something, the little bond that lets them know they are a part of each other & a part of you & Greg. God really is an awesome planner!

    ReplyDelete