Monday, August 31, 2009

Daddy's Birthday

On Friday at the Wehrman household, we celebrated daddy's birthday. He was turning 32 this year, and isn't exactly happy about it, so Hunter and mommy tried to make it as special as possible.

Every morning, we are awakened by our bushy-tailed toddler climbing in our bed at about 7:30. We take turns getting up with him and letting the other person sleep in, and I will be the first to admit that Greg is the one that gets up 4 times out of 5 (which I am very thankful for!) Anyway, on daddy's birthday, I got up with Hunter. We both ate breakfast and then proceeded to make daddy's cake. Hunter now "helps" momma in the kitchen any time I am cooking something. When he sees me start cooking, he pulls up a kitchen chair by the island right away to help me. As he's only 22 months old, his "help" usually means more work for me, but I think it is so fun. I have always pictured my kids helping in the kitchen and am so excited our first is old enough to do so! We made daddy a red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting. Hunter's favorite part was licking the beaters after we were finished. :)

When daddy woke up, we did presents. We gave him candy, and a tshirt from Target that he had pointed out. It has his dream Firebird on it, so of course, he wanted it.

Here he is opening the box and smiling because he saw what it was. :)

Here, he is obliging me by letting me take a picture. :) He's not a picture person, but let me take it so I could update the blogger world! Greg also received an iPod Touch, which was for Father's Day and his birthday, so he's been enjoying that present for a while now.

We relaxed much of the morning, ate frozen pizza and let Hunter take a nap. I frosted the cake, with was ALMOST disastrous! It is so hot here (even with the A/C on!) that the frosting was half melted just sitting in the cupboard. After I was finished, the top layer of the cake kept sliding off of the bottom - I had to stick it in the fridge! Thank goodness, that saved it.

After Hunter woke, we decided to check out the splash park that is at the Residents' Club in our neighborhood. The Club is only a mile away from our house, and has a big pool, a splash park, a couple of slides, a fitness center, and a lap pool, just to name some of the stuff.

Hunter was a little unsure of the whole thing at first, but he warmed up to the water (mostly.)

This is the splash park, but because of the big bucket at the top that would drop water, Hunter wouldn't even go near it. So we stayed in the calm waters of the pool. He had fun with daddy holding him and splashing momma (a nice trick he picked up from daddy.)

We found some mostly shaded lawn chairs and relaxed for a bit too.

After the water park, we went home and got the mail, which included Greg's gift from his parents: a Garmin GPS. He absolutely LOVES it, and has been using it to take him places, even if he's already been there before. He is enjoying breaking it in. :) Thanks, mom and dad!

We then ate some lasagna, which is Greg's favorite meal. Then of course, we closed with the cake. It was a simple day, but I enjoyed just being with my boys, and I hope Gregory enjoyed his day too.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like a grand time was had by all.Happy Birthday Greg!(only 1 day late)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds lie a fab birthday to me! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pastor Paul, Laura & RachelSeptember 5, 2009 at 3:05:00 PM EDT

    Happy Birthday Greg!
    (Great Blog Emma!)
    Love,
    Pastor Paul, Laura & Rachel

    ReplyDelete