Thursday, October 28, 2010

Changes

I've been thinking about this a lot in the last few weeks, but with our 5 year anniversary here it really made me think about it even more.

I've been pondering a lot about the woman I was when Greg and I married verses the woman I am today. I've changed so much in 5 years. Is it because of maturity with age, maturity from God, or a mixture of the two?

I was 18 when Greg and I married. I made a meal for us every evening but it was, lots of times, out of a box. Bless Greg's heart, he never once complained (and only gives me a hard time about it now.) ;) I bought flaked mashed potatoes, and crock pot dinners out of the freezer section. I'm not criticizing these dinners or anyone that makes them. But because of health issues in both of our families that I'm sure we'll inherit, God has put it on my heart to make things homemade more, mainly because of the differences in nutrition.

It's not just food though. Never once would I have considered making my own laundry detergent, or sewing my own crib set for my child (which I think I may be doing soon!) And don't even mention homeschooling! I always thought homeschooling parents were crazy! And now look at me, haha.

It's been little things here and there over time that I've changed but I'm thankful that I have made the changes. I made homemade chicken tenders and onion straws the other day, which have to soak in buttermilk for at least an hour. If I'd come across that recipe 3 years ago, I'd have passed it up as soon as I got to the buttermilk part because it would "take too long." Now, I find myself wanting to make homemade cinnamon rolls that have to sit and rise for 3+ hours!

I would love a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer for Christmas this year. All I can think is, "oh, the possibilities!"

None of this may matter to any of you and that's ok, it just makes me laugh to think about the changes that have happened in me over my marriage. I thank God for them because they're changes that have made me into a better wife and mother. And I'm constantly asking the Lord to change me into the wife and mother that He desires me to be...so I guess that answers my question from the beginning of the blog. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love that. I so enjoy being a wife and mother, and it cracks me up too, when I think of where I started. I had a lot of encouragement from my aunt. The Lord can do amazing things with the smallest details. :)

    ReplyDelete