Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Update from Emma

Ok so here's the deal. My doctor said to take me off the pitocin about 1 pm to see how my body would do on its own (because it wasn't needing a high dose of it anyway to have some good contractions.) They kept up for a while so I decided to get my epidural then. They weren't unbearable yet but I was starting to get so fatigued from lack of sleep that I decided a nap was in order.

While waiting for the anesthesiologist, the contractions became very mild. Then he came in and the "fun" began! He couldn't find the right spot and had to use lots of numbing shots, and I had shooting pains in my back most of the time. After a while, I started shaking and couldn't stop. Then, the nurse asked Greg if he was ok. Apparently he was white as a sheet (from not eating) and he was nauseous and had to sit down. After being unsuccessful in finding the right spot in my back for probably 10 minutes or so, he had me lay on my side, and thankfully found it pretty fast on that side. Then after everyone left, I cried. But, praise God, the epidural is working to make the contractions pain-free (although I can still feel and move my legs...weird!)

Since then I have had to be hooked back up to pitocin because my contractions totally subsided. However, I know God was watching over me with the break in pitocin. There is absolutely no way I would have made it through the epidural sessions with the contraction pain I was feeling before they stopped the pitocin, so I know it was no accident that I was taken off of it for a while.

Thank you for your prayers; I can definitely feel them!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment