Friday, July 22, 2011

Random Thoughts

I feel like there's a battle going on inside me.

I have so many thoughts that are running through my head, and I think they can be classified into two categories.

1. Thoughts (worries) of my flesh
2. Thoughts (known truth) of my spirit

My flesh keeps throwing ideas at me...ideas of what could happen...what should happen...what hasn't happened...

But I have two choices.

1. I can worry, and freak out...throw my hands up in the air and say, "What on earth is going on? How could this possibly all work out?"
2. I can go to His Word, and stand on His truth that He's given me. I can remember what His word says, and BELIEVE it.

It's so much easier to let my flesh win. But with every worry my flesh is telling me, I need to combat it with Scripture.
Psalm 119:147
I rise before dawn and cry for help; I have put my hope in your word.
Psalm 143:8
Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love,
for I have put my trust in you.
Show me the way I should go,
for to you I lift up my soul.

Worry #1 - Seriously, God? This can't be part of Your plan.
Psalm 18:30a
As for God, his way is perfect;
Psalm 34:19
A righteous man may have many troubles,
but the LORD delivers him from them all;

Worry #2 - Why does none of this make any sense?
Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
6 in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Worry #3 - How are we going to pay our bills?
Philippians 4:19
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.

Worry #4 - I really can't feel You with me right now, God. Are you really taking care of everything? Are You really still here?
Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the LORD
and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall.
1 Peter 5:7
Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
Psalm 34:18
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 139:7-10
7 Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.

Worry #5 - I'm so afraid of all the "What if's."
Psalm 56:3-4a
3 When I am afraid,
I will trust in you.
4 In God, whose word I praise,
in God I trust; I will not be afraid.
Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.”
Deuteronomy 31:8
The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.”

Worry #6 - There's no way I can be at peace with everything that's going on right now.
John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

Worry #7 - Why does it have to be like this? Why does it have to be so hard?
1 Peter 5:10
And the God of all grace, who called you to his eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast.

Amidst everything that's going on, I still want to make Him proud. It's easy to follow Him and praise Him when things are fine and dandy. But just because we're going through a difficult time does not mean I should forget about Him. No matter what I am going through, I want my honest prayer to be:
Psalm 19:14
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be pleasing in your sight,
O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer.

So even though it's not easy, I'm going to choose to remember and believe the promises of His word over the worries of my flesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment