Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Story of my (Adult) Life: Part Five

Read Part Four here.

I was on pins and needles that whole next week.

I would anxiously answer the phone when Greg called just sure he was calling to tell me that the manager had called and extended a job offer.

But the call never came that first week.

Amidst my disappointment, God in His infinite grace and mercy, kept reassuring us that we'd heard Him correctly. We were, in fact, going to get the job and move back there. We just had to wait for the offer.

Every day, I'd grow more weary of waiting, but I would pray for help in trusting and keeping faith.

One day while praying, God reminded me of Hebrews 11:1 which says:
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

I clung to that verse when He gave it to me. I have had that verse memorized for over a decade, but never before has it given me such peace than in this situation.

Now, Greg went into the dealership on May 16th. While our lease was set to expire at the end of July, we had to put in our "Termination of Lease Notice" by June 1. So we took that as: If we have a job offer by June 1, we move to New Bern the end of July, and if not, we stay here.

On May 30th, after (still) no job offer, but lots of reassurance from God, Greg and I felt like He was prompting us to put the notice in that we'd be vacating the house.

So, we did.

Greg would call the manager about once a week to touch base with him and see how things were looking.

The manager always said something about him not having a chance to look everything over, or being busy and in meetings, or something along those lines.

It was never a job offer, yet, it was never discouraging either. He did tell him that Greg impressed him when he met him in person, but he just wanted to make sure he had the work for him.

So we kept waiting.

In early June, God reminded me of Abraham and Isaac. Now, if you're unfamiliar with the story, in a nutshell, God told Abraham to take his son up to a mountain to sacrifice him to the Lord. God wanted to see Abraham's devotion to Him and this is how He chose to do it. Finally, as Abraham's arm was in the air ready to strike, God told him not to touch Isaac. He spoke to me through this story, reminding me that even though He waited until Abraham's arm was in the air ready to strike, it was still on time.

Because God is so awesome, He also reminded Greg of the same story. He spoke to Greg about how this is God testing and growing our faith and trust in Him. He also reminded us about how Abraham had to wait 25 years for Isaac to be born from when God promised him a child. We'd only been waiting a couple weeks! But Abraham stayed faithful, and so did God.

He gave us both the same stories on the same day, even though we hadn't even talked about it.

So my mom and I were talking one day, and she has a friend that always looks up verses for promises of God when she has a big date of something. (Example: today's date is 7-13 so she would look up chapter 7, verse 13 in different books until she finds a promise of God that she can apply to her situation for that date.) The manager had told us to call on June 15th, so I decided to look up 6-15 for a promise of God. The very first book I looked in was Hebrews. Hebrews 6:15 says: And so after waiting patiently, Abraham received what was promised.

Let me spell this out for your just to make sure you get this God-moment:
God reminded both Greg and I (independently) about Abraham needing to wait for God to fulfill His promise of blessing him with a son. Then on this date that he was set to call the manager, this verse is in the very first book I looked in.

God is pretty awesome.

That was definitely reassuring in our decision to end our lease.

Read Part Six here.

No comments:

Post a Comment